Write your Congressmen

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Student Says Social Work School Persecuted Him for Being Conservative

Having myself worked at the University of Maryland School of Social Work for nearly 10 years, I can assure you that this is very much feasible. Social workers are without question the most hate-filled and biased group of "professionals" with whom it was ever my displeasure to associate. In a social work community, as they like to say, if you are found out to be conservative, you will not only be ostracized, but they will look to remove you "by any means necessary." I use that Malcolm X quote on purpose, because he is big with this crowd.

I experienced a bit of the discrimination myself, but I follow my rule at work: No Religion, No Politics; that's not what they pay me for. Social Workers, however, are more about politics than anything else. This was a surprise to me, because when I began my employment, I was under the impression that their aim was to help people. Really, not so much. They're much more interested in moving society far towards the left.

I witnessed the difficulties had by right-leaning professors at UMSSW, both of which had a religious foundation for their work and research. I don't know how they stood it, but those right wing social work professors were the toughest people I've seen in a long time. They were far more accepting of new ideas and opposing views than were their cohorts on the left.

But in the big picture, the question should involve the role of a state institution, in this case Rhode Island: should a public institution be allowed to take sides in any political issue? Since it involves an ideology rather than a factual, realistic position, I say no. Looking at it another way, is it proper for a public school system to promote one religion over another? Of course you say no, but isn't it the same - still ideology?

FOXNews.com - Student Says School Persecuted Him for Being Conservative - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Felkner says he was also discriminated against by Professor Roberta Pearlmutter, who he says refused to allow him to participate in a group project lobbying for a conservative issue because the assignment was to lobby for a liberal issue. He alleges that Perlmutter spent a 50-minute class "assailing" his views and allowed students to openly ridicule his conservative positions, and that she reduced his grade because he was not "progressive."

No comments: